Tuesday, June 29, 2010

5th in the NATION!!!


This is the picture that inspired me to do the unthinkable!
November 1st-April 2nd I cut out all sweets, soda and snacking in between meals. I went from a size 12 to a size 4. In January Gold's Gym had a $45,000 challenge and I entered it. Down below are my before and after pictures. Since May of 2009, after having Brooks I have lost 64 pounds. Since November when I got serious I have lost 44 of the 64 pounds.
I still don't eat chocolate, drink soda or snack. I have dessert on special occasions, holidays and b-days!





January 2010 official weigh in. 154 pounds. (sorry the pictures are small) At this point I thought to myself, "I don't have anymore weight to loose", but little did I know what working out 5-6 days a week for 1-2 hours a day would do and could do.








April 4, 2010 official weigh in 141 pounds. 15% body fat loss and total transformation.
I was ranked 5th in the Nation for Gold's completion. I won for my personal gym, then got sent off to Nationals and took 5th.
Words can't describe the feeling and accomplishment of hard work. The discipline and dedication totally paid off.


Starting weight from November 1st was 178. Current weight now is 133.
Here is my story that I had to submit for the competition. Feel free to read it, I'm putting it in here for journal purposes. Enjoy!
Every morning as I’d walk through the front doors I would read, “Know that showing up is half the battle.” This statement has a lot of truth to it, so throughout my work outs I would decide what kind of day I would have, what good foods I would eat, how much water I would drink and what things I would eliminate that would cause extra stress. I would be so focused for that upcoming day I couldn't’t afford not to show up. At the start of my journey I decided I was going to enter to win the grand prize, I’m very motivated by money. As the work outs increased and my results started to show dramatically and my workout buddies would verbally express the physical changes in me, is when and where I found my drive. I never knew how much strength I really did have and it has been very humbling to be an inspiration to others along the way.

I have absolutely loved seeing my body physically transform, but the greatest gift that I’ve gained from knowing and finding my own strength in this process has changed my family for the rest of our lives. I have learned to be a better wife, mother and friend to all I meet along my journey. There isn’t a big enough check to be presented to me that could replace the life lessons, trials and blessings that have come to me in the past couple of months. You can’t put a price tag on those life lessons, (**That’s priceless.) It has taken this challenge to help me realize how empowering I really am. I never knew I had the self discipline that I’ve discovered, I know I can do and have anything I want in this life if I set my goals high and work as hard as I can to achieve them. I have the choice and I have chosen to overcome my weaknesses and turn them into my greatest strengths, physically and spiritually. Raising the bar for myself, I’ve been able to push when my body was screaming to stop and push through the pain to build the new me. Doing this the old fashion way with balance in all areas of my life, no magic pills, no special diet or shakes, just all the hard work, watching what I eat and exercise, shows that it pays off, to give it all you’ve got and especially when you don’t think you have any left to give. (that’s priceless?)

I’m so thankful for the awesome staff, instructors and especially my trainer at Gold’s Gym at Goliad. Their support and motivation has been above and beyond. To be able to help encourage, inspire and share my success with others at the gym and around me has made me want to succeed even more and become an instructor for Gold’s Gym in the near future and be part of this great family.

I’m completely, 110% satisfied with who I have become through this amazing experience. Thank you for the opportunity to do that. I’m glad I chose to take personal responsibility and win each day. As I’d leave the gym after each workout I’d read the sign that say’s “know you’ll be back tomorrow for more” that’s where I’d find more strength to come and do it again day after day. That’s what will help me continue the next chapter in my new book of life!

Essay by
Miken Harding
Contest 2010

7 comments:

Elizabeth said...

Holy moly Miken! I'm so proud of you!

April said...

Wow! So inspiring. I am so proud of you, and I am so thankful that you shared your success.
Way yo go!!!

Anonymous said...

Congrats! That's awesome! You've always been so determined and been
able to do whatever you put your mind to. Very impressive! Glad you're happy.

valerie said...

WOW! Miken!!
You look amazing. So inspiring.
I loved your Power Hour article and comments! You are one amazing woman.
Miss all my friends from the retreat! Hope you are doing well!!
Love,
Valerie

HaYn Mama said...

You are so inspiring... YOU ARE MY HERO!

Giulia said...

Hi! This is Petrollini...i just found your blog again after I don't know how many months...maybe years...I am SO proud of YOU! I would love to get in touch with you...my blog is private...I wish i had your email...You are such an inspiration...I have read what you wrote about the meeting in Saint George...WOW I would love to learn more, i want to be a better Mom, more balanced in everything...i miss you sister! you are such a strength! Congratulations on the amazing weigh loss...YOU LOOK FABULOUS!!!!!!!!!!!

143 FROM Petrollini/Rogers :)
(danngiu@juno.com) email me there if you have a minute and then you can delete this comment so the world doesn't have amy email... :)

Anonymous said...

Dude that is AMAZING, you are my inspiration, seriously, so cool!